Earlier this afternoon, the Producers Guild of America announced their feature film nominations for their 28th Annual Awards, and as expected, we find that mostly the same usual suspects have made the cut.
The top three contenders of the year, "La La Land," "Manchester by the Sea," and "Moonlight," easily made the cut, along with popular nominees like "Arrival" and "Hell or High Water."
The only two somewhat big surprises are the unexpected inclusion of "Deadpool," which has already nabbed nods from the WGA and ACE, and the disappointing omission of Martin Scorsese's masterful "Silence," which has been passed over by the major guilds over and over again. At this point, I'm not even sure if we can expect the Directors Guild to give Marty a nod, though I'm still counting on it happening.
From the way things have been going, it seems clear that Damien Chazelle's outstanding "La La Land" is the film to beat, but, of course, there's always the chance that the guilds will go in a completely different direction from the critics (like in 2010-11 or 2014-15). We'll just have to wait until January 28th to find out.
Be sure to check back to see who takes home the big prize. Until then, please see below for a complete list of today's nominations:
Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures
* Arrival Producers: Dan Levine, Shawn Levy, Aaron Ryder, David Linde
* Deadpool Producers: Simon Kinberg, Ryan Reynolds, Lauren Shuler Donner
* Fences Producers: Scott Rudin, Denzel Washington, Todd Black
* Hacksaw Ridge Producers: Bill Mechanic, David Permut
* Hell or High Water Producers: Carla Hacken, Julie Yorn
* Hidden Figures Producers: Donna Gigliotti, Peter Chernin & Jenno Topping, Pharrell Williams, Theodore Melfi
* La La Land Producers: Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, Marc Platt