- by Jeff Beck
Kubo and the Two Strings Comes to Digital HD on November 8th and Blu-ray/DVD on November 22nd
Without a doubt, "Kubo and the Two Strings" has been one of the most acclaimed animated adventures of recent years, with critics calling it "beautiful," "bold and daring," "stunning," and "a masterpiece." There have even been many early predictions saying that it will be a strong contender for this year's Best Animated Feature Oscar.
For those unfamiliar with the film, it tells the story of a young boy who is trying to locate a suit of magical armor in order to defeat a spirit from the past, and features an incredible vocal cast that includes Charlize Theron, Ralph Fiennes, Matthew McConaughey, George Takei, and Rooney Mara. Today, Universal has officially announced the home release of "Kubo and the Two Strings," declaring that it will first come to Digital HD on November 8th, followed by the Blu-ray/DVD release on November 22nd.
The following extras have also been announced:
Bonus Features Exclusive to Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack & Blu-ray™ Combo Pack
• Introduction by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight introduces “Kubo’s Journey.”
• Mythological Monsters: The filmmakers and crew discuss the new techniques they used to create the terrifying antagonists. Learn how each monster differed in scale, design, and execution.
• Braving the Elements: A particularly challenging aspect of filming was animating water and rain effects. Discover how LAIKA was able to animate water in the context of a stop-motion film.
• The Redemptive and Healing Power of Music: Learn how traditional and contemporary musical styles were combined by Academy Award®-winning composer Dario Marianelli (Atonement) to infuse the film with such a heartfelt sound.
• Epilogue by Director/Producer Travis Knight: Director/Producer Travis Knight discusses what attracted LAIKA to Kubo and the Two Strings.
Bonus Features on Blu-ray™ 3D Combo Pack & Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD
• Japanese Inspiration: The LAIKA creative team and the cast discuss the inspirations for the story.
• Corners of the Earth: Filmmakers and crew discuss the challenges of the varied landscapes and locations in Kubo and the Two Strings.
• The Myth of Kubo: Cast and filmmakers discuss the story at the core of Kubo and the Two Strings.
• Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Travis Knight
Looks like we can expect plenty of behind the scenes material in regards to the making of the film, including how they were able to develop its gorgeous animation, and all of this in addition to a commentary track with the director/producer himself.
Overall, it looks like it's going to be a fantastic release of one of the best reviewed films of the year, so be sure to take note of the upcoming November release dates.
Follow me on Twitter @BeckFilmCritic.